Re: squid with two NICs

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:56:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Stephen Amadei wrote:

> either useing two NICs or two virtual interfaces... but I cannot figure
> how to get the two squids to speak to each other, so squid1 isn't
> retrieving objects that are in squid2's cache. Plus I need to configure
> this mess to use Cidera... ;-)

I'm jumping in late into this discussion, so apologies beforehand if my
answer isn't what you want to hear...

What I do is have to machines running Squid with the icmp pinger enabled.
They have an IP address corresponding with the provider they're hooked to.
They have very little caches, so I'm not worried about the duplicated
cache. Then the big proxy is configured with these machines as parent, and
to get the ICMP measurments via ICP. This setup works very well in
determining the best path. It also provides a fairly reliable detection of
a Squid hooked up to a dead provider (except of course for sites that
disallow ICMP, but hey, they deserve to fall off the net :-)

Conceivably, the two Squids could run on the same machine, but putting
them on two allows me to set the default route to their associated ISP (in
your case I guess it wouldn't matter, since you don't care about outgoing
bandwidth, but using two machines allows for better redundancy and better
measurements).

Cheers,

                                -- Bert

Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119