Re: squid with two NICs

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:15:18 +0200

Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski wrote:

> >What I do is have to machines running Squid with the icmp pinger enabled.
> >They have an IP address corresponding with the provider they're hooked to.
> >They have very little caches, so I'm not worried about the duplicated
> >cache. Then the big proxy is configured with these machines as parent, and
> >to get the ICMP measurments via ICP. This setup works very well in
> >determining the best path. It also provides a fairly reliable detection of
> >a Squid hooked up to a dead provider (except of course for sites that
> >disallow ICMP, but hey, they deserve to fall off the net :-)
>
> Which one squid?
> on 2.2S5 I can not get it to work - the ICMP measures was correct on the
> "parent" servers, but they do not influent on the "user" cache - e.g. I get
> sides from "wrong" ISP (wrong means more then 10 times slower).

I'm using Squid-2.2STABLE5 with Henrik Nordstroms patches up to
20000113.

Only problem I had was that I had to add a setsockopt(2) because on my
platform (BSD/OS) the pinger process would die with an ENOBUF. I'm
assuming this is specific to my platform, however.

You probably know this already, but just to make sure: your firewall
Squid must be compiled with --with-icmp, your internal Squid must be
compiled without; your internal Squid needs to have "query_icmp on" in
its config.

Cheers,

                                        -- Bert

--