Re: Referrers in Logfile

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:24:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Kristoffer Lippert wrote:

]I have excatly the same issue, except it's not live yet, but I also
]needs to log Referer and preferably also agent logging.

The user agent logging can be enabled with the "useragent_log" option,
after you recompiled your Squid.

# TAG: useragent_log
# If configured with the "--enable-useragent_log" configure
# option, Squid will write the User-Agent field from HTTP
# requests to the filename specified here. By default
# useragent_log is disabled.
#
#useragent_log none

I have the strange notion that the useragent logging code can be abused
(by copy'n'replace plus some additional magic) for a referer logging. I
did some copy, replace, and insert, and voila, there is a Squid with a
referer log capability. The output did not convince me, though, since it
uses a common log file format time stamp (yuck) and only logs the content
of the Referer header - logging the destination URI would be appropriate,
too!

So I changed the format to log the Squid native style timestamp first, the
client second, the referer third and the destination as fourth column.

Still anybody interested in the patches?

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726