Can I use squid as FTP proxy server?

From: Ivan Stoyanov <ivstoyanov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:20:17 +0300

Hi all,
At the moment I used WinRoot as proxy server - an excelent proxy form
me.
I need to change the operating system to Linux and installed squid
2.3.STABLE2 as proxy.
I am usin Slocakware 7 over AMD K6 350 MHz with 64 MB RAM.

The squid is working very very slow. I can not believe it!!!

I can not use squid as ftp proxy too.
Where can I get more info about how to set up squid as ftp proxy server
- cache ftp. Is it possible?
Why is squid so slow?

Is squid the best solution as cache proxy and how many RAM I need?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan.