Re: Can I use squid as FTP proxy server?

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:20:15 +0200

At 06:20 PM 7/17/00 +0300, Ivan Stoyanov wrote:
>Hi all,
>At the moment I used WinRoot as proxy server - an excelent proxy form
>me.
>I need to change the operating system to Linux and installed squid
>2.3.STABLE2 as proxy.
>I am usin Slocakware 7 over AMD K6 350 MHz with 64 MB RAM.
>
>The squid is working very very slow. I can not believe it!!!

I think the issue is RAM. It all depends on the size of your cache because
it keep a lot in memory. Mine consumes a "bit" more than 64MB (I run a 12G
cache). I use it on a Sun Ultra1-140 (Ultra1 on 140MHz) with 256MB RAM and
that works great (with an average CPU load during office hours below 10%)
for about 300 users and 1GB/day.

>I can not use squid as ftp proxy too.

That is correct. It does not except for FTP via a web browser. In that case
the communication between the browser and squid is HTML and squid talks FTP
to the server. That should work in the default config. Proxying for native
FTP does not work... You could try the TIS firewall toolkit. That has a FTP
proxy but I'm not sure if it will work with tools like WS-FTP.

>Where can I get more info about how to set up squid as ftp proxy server
>- cache ftp. Is it possible?
>Why is squid so slow?
>
>Is squid the best solution as cache proxy and how many RAM I need?

If your machine is swapping a lot you need more. I use about 100MB for
squid only.

>Thanks in advance,
>Ivan.

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int (PGP capable)
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm