System Requirements

From: Kevin Ruggiero <kdr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:10:31 -0400 (EDT)

I'm currently looking into proxying solutions, and I noticed that the
recommended configuration on the squid site is PII 300 with SCSI
hard drives (that was listed as of 1998). When I look at the requirements
for Microsoft Proxy Server, they are actually very low (P133 w/ 64RAM
suggested for supporting 0-300 PCs).

I know sys requirements can be very subjective, and the squid site
didn't mention how many desktops that would support, but I'm wondering why
there's such a large gap. Can anyone offer some insight here? What would
I really need on squid to get good performance while supporting about 100
PCs?

Thanks.

-----
Kevin Ruggiero -- SUNY at Buffalo