Re: Host-header based acceleration

From: Mike Suter <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:06:52 -0500 (CDT)

I've got a proxy+accelerator running in non-host header acceleration
mode for multiple servers currently, and things are working pretty well.

Unfortunately there is a need to host a multitude of additional sites,
so I was looking at using header-based acceleration rather than
burning an extra address for each one.

When I made the conversion (basically, setting

        redirect_rewrites_host_header off
        httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

and commenting out my redirector script [I am using split DNS,
so the host header will resolve to the actual server at the
firewall]) things worked "sorta".. initial pages would sometimes
(but not always) load, but only a few of the graphics, etc..

Most of the back-end servers are IIS v4; Squid is v 2.3.STABLE3.

Related question - is it possible to do IP-based and host header-
based acceleration concurrently? I doubt it based on what is
passes to the redirector script (changes from ip to host header
when httpd_accel_uses_host_header is flipped on).

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike