[SQU] Odd hangs with squid (2.4 beta with NTLM)

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:53:49 +0200 (MESZ)

After Robert Collins patch(es) ntlm-authentication seems to run even for
my access rules.

However, it seems after sitting idle for a day or so, squid (NTLM) locked
up (before I added the latest NTLM patch, which will almost definitely
not cure this problem).

Symptom: Squid sat idle, accepted connections, even made IE prompt for
passwords (in case it couldn't send the right NTLM auth because the user
was not logged into the domain), however, it served no files, wrote
nothing to access or cache log.

Strangely enough, when I telnetted into the proxy port and hit random keys
it complained about http protocol errors in the log. But it did serve no
files nor gave access denied errors.

After a restart of the squid process all was fine but I'm still a bit
concerned. Is this a known squid 2.4 problem?

What shall I do in case of the next lockup, how can I help isolating the
problem? Unfortunately I could get not any error indication from my last
locked up squid.

I also don't use any new features of 2.4 except NTLM which I need to use.

Michael.

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on