Re: [SQU] Disable authentication Realm, No Authprompts with MS-Proxy Explorer , : Now where is the NTLM module?

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:42:51 +0200 (MESZ)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Robert Collins wrote:

> <snip>
> > Note: When installing NTLM in another location, although with a single
> > proxy_auth instance (hence I did not add your patch first) I got
> > plenty authentication prompts within an IE session.
>
> Probably the same bug showing itself differently. The number of proxy_auth
> instances will not actually affect the code, it was acl denies causing the
> issue.
[...]
> > It *seems* adding the recent NTLM patch cures also this problem (longrun
> > experience is missing), I claim it might have been caused by kept open
[...]
> I'm glad it *seems* fixed.

Tough luck, I got reports/saw it still occasionally happens, but less
frequently.

More data points:

I didn't saw this b4, but when I first setup squid THERE it happened very
quickly. I added your patch AND guessing for other things, raised the
housekeeping period from 60 to 1800 and the doubled the default refresh.

Now it still happens often but not too often to be a nuisance, it *looks*
it was about 60secs before and is now 1800.

Could it be related to the housekeeping period?

Second, I now have a few: SetUpX failed, error code -1 and ERR
domain controller failure log entries. They might or might not be related
to this problem. They are only temporary failures for sure, not
reproducible. YOu mentioned a possible race?

Regarding my original problem where I saw *similar* effects, I'm wondering
about the following:

I know from firewall issues with Windows that windows regularly refuses
connections to valid ports if it is currently too busy. The effect is that
if you configure a firewall to clearly refuse certain ports it won't stop
windows machines to bump against it again and again, just thinking you are
currently busy.

Question: Could the DC's just be a bit overloaded here, and in result for
the authenticator: in case of an authentication failure which does not
definitely produce: THIS auth value is definitely wrong, just retry
authentication a few times/for some time period.

Michael

 seems

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,