Re: [SQU] Illegal character in hostname and auto.proxy ?

From: Marc Haber <squid-users.ircache.net@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:15:02 +0200

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:12:29 +0200 (MEST), Jens-Uwe Walther
<Jens-Uwe.Walther@force.de> wrote:
>I 'm getting these error messages constantly in my cache.log file:
>
>2000/10/12 00:26:00| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
>'sr-deu-proxy01.force.de:8080sr-deu-proxy01.force.de'

I believe this might be caused by the program CyDoor which is used by
numerous sponsored shareware programs to pull their advertisements to
your machine. Babylon Translator is one of the most prominent users of
that software.

I'd appreciate if you could check your machine for the CyDoor program.
There is information (in German) about that kind of software on
http://www.freewareguide.de/win9x/adware.shtml and
http://www.lavasoft.de/free.html.

I'd like to have my suspicion confirmed that CyDoor isn't able to
generate valid proxy requests.

Is there any chance to have squid ignore this error message only
without having to hack the source? In my situation, that error message
is caused by multiple machines that I don't administrate myself. So,
reconfiguring them or getting rid of the broken software is a
non-option here :-(

Greetings
Marc