Re: [SQU] Newbie Help

From: Kurt Hansen <khansen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:03:34 -0700

> My real question is this: would i be better downloading the Squid
2.2.x
> source code so that the User Guid instructions make more sense (i.e. the
> path structure is the same) ??

Having been in a similar position to yours a year and a half ago -- i.e.
moving from Microsoft to Linux --, I'd suggest downloading sources and
re-compiling rather than using rpms precisely because the documention on
Open Source stuff is easier to follow if the paths are consistent. You are
learning so much new stuff, it is best to eliminate confusion as much as
possible.

That having been said, I haven't worked specifically with squid! It looks
promising, but it's further down the priority list than more urgent things.
However, I have seen people report problems with the versions of apache that
come with RH. Specifically, mod_perl is compiled in as a DSO up through 6.1
at least which doesn't work with a lot of programs. So, I've been careful
about my use of rpms.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen
khansen@charityweb.net