[SQU] Host header munging?

From: Mike Suter <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:55:11 -0500 (CDT)

I've got a Squid box acting as a gateway, doing both http proxying
and server acceleration.

Most of the acceleration is IP-based (one IP per server on the
outside), but I'm trying to add host header-based acceleration
to the mix.

My strategy was to add an additional IP alias externally that
would get passed to a new internal server that served pages
based on the host header.

I turned off redirect_rewrites_host_header, with the hope that
this would force Squid to not munge the host headers.

Unfortunately, the server served the same pages no matter what
host header was presented to Squid. To take Squid out of the
picture, I set up lower level (basically, NAT'ed) relationship
between the outside IP and the internal server, and this *did*
work - the server saw the host header and served the proper
page.

This wasn't a cache problem - I forced client refreshing while
testing, and even disabled caching for that IP in Squid.

So my observation is that Squid is changing the host header
in some way - despite the assumption that
redirect_rewrites_host_header disables host header rewriting.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Mike