Re: [SQU] delay_pool on AIX + a few other questions about delay's

From: Fabrice Laborie <laborie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:31:41 +0300

Hi Henrik,

1) I was ./configure'ing with

./configure --enable-gnuregex --enable-snmp --enable-time-hack
--enable-delay-pools --enable-dlmalloc --enable-underscores

* I tried the same on a RH7.0 and instead of habing sig violation,
  squid would not respond to -k reconfigure or -k shutdown !!
* I got rid of the --enable-dlmalloc and --enable-gnuregex
  and it worked well on both platform ....
* before using the delay pools, I WAS already using dlmalloc and
gnuregex
  on AIX without problem ...

since after fixing the problem I didn't roll back to try adding dlmalloc
/ regex
again ... I am not 200% sure that the problem came from the simultanious
use of both...

I'll try to find a way to recreate the problem and take a trace and send
it to u guys ...
one day *S*

2) I was using a simple delay_pool with a regexp on it like the
abracadabra one from the UG.
any way, one more time, thank you for your support!

here are my new questions:

1) I read on the FAQ/UG that there was some restriction on how to use
the delay pools
  based on IPv4 B/C class ...
  on my network, I have dialup users, lan users and wan users( connected
through 64 / 128 lines
  with different Commited Rate ).I want to give faster access to those
with bigger lines / Higher
  commited rate ... I am trying to implement this wit ACL's ...
  acl cust1_IP src 1.2.3.4 a.b.c.d/255.255.255.248
  delay_class 1 2
  delay_parameters 1 16000/8000 16000/8000 # limit to MAX 16KB/sec =
128kbps ... slow down their download after 8K
  delay_access 1 allow cust1_IP
  delay_access 1 deny all

  am i runnning into problem using this acl with a .248 mask ? ( I have
many customer with this mask
  and all should be delay'ed ) ?
  is it ok to put an acl with a simgle IP + a range ?

2) I am running mrtg to monitor my server ...
  is there a way to monitor how the pools are used ??
  for example:
  - I would like to see how full the individual buckets for WAN
customers
    are so that I can sell more Commited Rate to those that
    would benefit from it showing them the graphs ?
  - I want to have total/ average/ means for my DialUp's to plan for
bandwith upgrade

3) I am NOT using SquidGuard ...
   I was wondering how to SLOW down the sites from the blacklist
BLOCKING them ...
   in a ( efficient ????) way ...
   I looked on the SquidGuard intro / mailinglist archive and have not
found anything related to delay pools
   so maybe there is a easy way to do that through ACL's ?

4) would someone have sample of conf file using delays based on the time
of the day ?

5) what happens when several ACLS can apply to slow the traffic down:
   ex: - a users is limited to 36.6 kpbs by the 1st delay pool
       - he is downloading something from a warez site
  would the 2 buckets fill up ?