Re: [SQU] Store.log, time cache expires ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:04:47 +0100

Most likely the cache will only last a few milliseconds with the server
down.
a) It is quite likely that not all content of the server is cached and
fresh in the cache.
b) Certain user actions can force a cache refresh. The most common is
the reload button.

The expires in store.log is the expires header sent by the server. Squid
will normally obey this unless cache replacement or other actions (i.e.
reload button) forces it to behave in some other way.

To help the situation somewhat, make sure that all important content are
recently refreshed in the cache (shift-reload in the browser, or the -r
option to the squid client program), and then enable "ignore-reload" and
"offline_mode" in squid.conf before taking down the real server. You
should also make sure the IP address of the real server is up but
refusing connections while there are maintenance on the server. This to
ensure that Squid will quickly fall back on the cache if it tries to
revalidate any content..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker