[SQU] Performance Problem

From: Rainer Ginsberg <rainer.ginsberg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:07:59 +0100

Today, I installed Squid 2.3-STABLE4 on a SUN E450 with two
processors and 1.5 GB of RAM (running Solaris 2.6). Usually,
this machine is running Netscape Proxy Server 3.52.

With Squid instead of the Netscape Proxy, I experienced dramatic
performance problems. Access to the WWW was terribly slow.

Here is some data about our proxy usage:
- User authentication is done via LDAP to a directory on
  localhost. I have specified 16 instances of squid_ldap_auth.
- At peak times we have about 100 requests per second.
- We use only five ACLs with up to 50 regular expressions.

What are the main parameters that I should tune? What are the
parameters that I should look for in the cachemgr?

Thanks for your help,
Rainer

PS: I have built on the squid_ldap_auth code that comes with
Squid to authenticate against an Active Directory with
Windows 2000 user groups. Is anybody interested in reviewing
it?

--
Rainer Ginsberg
Robert Bosch GmbH