RE: [SQU] OT: Does the wonderous NTLM auth module exist for Apach e?

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:52:58 +0100

> Jason Haar wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:14:28AM +0100, Chemolli
> Francesco (USI) wrote:
> > > There is a mod_smb_auth for Apache, but it's broken at the
> > > protocol level, I'd be very surprised if it worked.
> >
> > All the mod_auth_smb-style modules do is provide Basic auth
> - not NTLM (i.e.
> > the "automatic" authentication).
> >
> > As you say they all suffer from the fact that they are
> single-process so
> > that you end up re-checking the password against the domain
> controller for
> > every page - i.e. NO CACHING.
>
> Later versions of pam_smb (URL is in the Samba docs) do have
> a cacheing
> authentication daemon, but as you say this is BASIC
> authentication only.

*bzzzzzttt* wrong answer
see http://modntlm.sourceforge.net/

Never used it, but it claims to be in beta status...

> AFAIK it is impossible (by design) to cache NTLM authentication, since
> neither the plain-text password nor the password hash go over the air.

Yes and no. We _do_ cache NTLM authentication, via an "ignorance is bliss"
system. Surprisingly enough, it works (but it needs checking).

> Mod-ntlm uses the 'keepalive' option of Apache to avoid authenticating
> more than once per TCP/IP connect, and with the keepalive
> timeout set to
> 60 seconds that does reduce the workload for active web
> browsers, at the
> cost of more Apache processes.

NTLM authentication RELIES on keepalive, so it's not an
insane choice.

--
	/kinkie