Re: [SQU] HELP: cache too big!

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:14:52 -0600

I've found that if Squid 2.2.STABLE5 (I don't know about later versions)
is being shut down improperly or crashes (due to load, for example) on a
regular basis the cache object store will grow, because Squid will
'lose' objects in the store. The objects will still be present, as
files, but the store index will not know about them. Deleting your
swap.state file(s), starting squid, and giving it a few minutes/hours to
rebuild it's swap.state fixes this problem.

Also, find out why your squid is being shut down improperly, and change
that. If your Squid has never crashed or been shutdown improperly
then this isn't your problem and won't solve it in the long run. But
I've never run into any other issues that can lead to the symptoms
described.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances