[SQU] repeated credential prompts with NTLM

From: Craig Fels <csfels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:28:15 -0600

Today I was browsing various websites and became irritated with repeated
prompts by IE5.01 for my username, password, and domain.

As some of you may remember, I'm running Squid 2.4.Devel-4-NTLM and its
running on a Linux Mandrake 7.0 box. The machine is a Pentium 3-550Mhz with
256MB RAM.

Right now, since the box is in testing mode with the NTLM code, only 3 or so
people are using it. So by no means is the box getting overworked.

I am going to have a hard time getting management to buy-into using this
proxy site-wide if the NTLM code keeps acting up.

Here's a summary of the issue:

Start IE 5.01.
Browse for a few minutes without problem.
Then, logon prompt appears (typical username/password/domain). If I enter
my credentials, sometimes that's enough, and it keeps going. Other times,
it prompts me 3 times in a row, then I get my "Denied" custom ERR page that
I created.
I click "BACK" on the browser, then click the same link I was trying to go
to before, and all is well.

Squid.conf entries for the ntlm helper are the defaults. BTW, I am using
ntlm_auth for the helper.

Anyone (read Robert/Kinkie) ;-) have any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig