Re: [SQU] what are you doing for redundancy?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:10:12 +0100

Matt Ashfield wrote:

> Thanks to the group to pointing me at the auto-proxy configuration..I'm
> kinda part-timing it on the Squid stuff here at work, so I don't always know
> all the ins and outs..Thanks again..
> As a follow-up to that though, what have you people noticed for timeouts
> before your client goes to DIRECT if the cache is down..It took my windows
> 98 machine around 15-20 seconds...my linux box was immediate..both were
> running Netscape..Is this a configurable option (the timeout) in Windows?

The specifications says 30 seconds if the proxy machine is completely
gone. This however does not work that well in UNIX Netscape (2
minutes)..

If the machine is up but the proxy service is down then shorter timeouts
will be seen. Some seconds for IE, quick on Unix boxes.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker