Re: [SQU] virus scanner, how to implement?

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:48:33 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Squid cannot (yet) directly call a virus scanner. However, it can
> forward requests via a virus scanner capable of HTTP proxying.
>
> One often quoted setup is
>
> Squid with cache -> virus checker -> small squid without cache

*nod* We now have plenty of such setups combined with the trendmicro
viruswall for linux in production setups.

However, you don't normally need 'small squid without cache' outside.
Except maybe when the 'virus checker' machine cannot reach the internet it
self due to routing limitations (as you can easily masquerade the outbound
requests this is only rarely the case).

There is another commercial product for 'content' control with squid.
Alas, I don't have the name at hand. It also needs to patch squid and they
only have patches working with the pre 2.4 version (which I cannot use...
*sic). So I've no first hand experience here.

Michael.

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on