Re: [SQU] hit percentage

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:24:04 +0100

At 01:14 PM 3/7/01 +0100, Yuri Sytema wrote:
>hi,
>
>Till last week, 25-30% of all traffic was cached by squid, suddenly it
>dropped to 15%.
>
>Is there any way to clear the cache?

That is not the way. You might want to investigate why the hit rate
dropped. Your cache is not so big so a few large downloads that are not
repeated by other users can change your hit rate. I use 12G of cache and I
see variations in hit rate of 10-20% (on average it hovers around 50%) You
should investigate what files are downloaded, how big they are and if there
was actually any chance for these files to be in the cache at all. As I
said a single user downloading 200M of files (A Red Hat distribution for
example) can screw up the hit rate of a 500M cache easily.

If you really want to 'squid -z' will do but I think that is the wrong
approach.

[...]

>Yuri
>
>--

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int (PGP capable)