[squid-users] Re: capacity of_squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:28:27 +0100

Reading your question once more I think I need to refine my answer
somewhat.

First some questions to ask you to clarify two parameters:

  a) How many CONCURRENT users are expected?
     (it does not matter how large the userbase is, what matters is how
many of them are using the proxy at "the same time")

  b) What is the expected bandwidth you will grow into. I.e. what do you
actually need the proxy to be able to handle?

  c) How well-connected are these users? (LAN / dialup / whatever)

As I said 2Mbps is not a problem for a modestly configured Squid.

A tuned Squid system can handle up to 10Mpbs

A well tuned Squid system might be able to handle up to 15-20Mbps.

The above varies somewhat with the amount of concurrent users (more
concurrent users -> less maximal thruput, fewer -> higher max thruput).

I don't remember what your Squid configuration was.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker