Re: [squid-users] How to determine why an object isn't being cached?

From: Denis Haskin <dwhaskin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:54:26 -0400

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> That said, whan you describe above can be done in HTTP by combining Vary
> and "cache-control: public" or a similar directive. Say that the reply
> varies based on Authorization: but is public. This way the shared cache
> can be abused to implement private caches.

<chuckle>

> Vary support in Squid is available from
> http://squid.sourceforge.net/vary/

Cool. I've started looking at this. How stable would you consider the Vary
support? Suitable for production?

> As I said Squid does not yet implement the s-... cache-control
> directives, so alternatives (b) or (c) can only be done using the
> general cache directives.

I see lots of references to the s-maxage directive in the current Squid
source, but haven't yet had time to look at them in more detail. What does
Squid currently do with s-maxage? Just pass it through?

> Also, if you find that Squid returns replies marked with
> proxy-revalidate or must-revalidate from cache without verifying with
> the origin server then there is also a bug in Squid, even thou HTTP in
> many cases allows this.

I will check this again, and if it appears to be a bug I'll look into it.

Much thanks for your very detailed answers --

dwh