Re: [squid-users] Recommended RAM

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:26:50 -0500

If I were configuring such a box I would use 24GB per disk for cache_dir
(more is overkill for your bandwidth load and will slow performance
somewhat). Even 24GB is an awful lot for the client load you're
supporting. You're retention will be quite a bit longer than is really
needed. But there's no real harm in that, as long as you don't run out
of memory.

Your cache is probably on the borderline of being busy enough to justify
async i/o, and the fact that the disks are IDE may cause you to find
that throughput is limited by the disk blocking of a single process
Squid. What speed is your processor? Async i/o is much more demanding
on the processor than a single process Squid. I'll assume since you've
got a ton of RAM, you haven't skimped on the processor--if you've got
600MHz or more in the CPU you should be just fine with an async compile.

All that being said, 2000/min is only 33/sec, which any kind of Squid
compile can handle if given two 7200 RPM disks (or even 5400 RPM disks
with reasonable seek times).

Good luck!

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>