Re: [squid-users] Internally & Internet Access

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:31:33 +0200

toledo@bb.com.br wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are using squid for proxy and cache and have 3 siblings.
> To analyse the users access, we have an application that process squidīs
> logs (analog), but canīt do cross-reference.
>
> Now, we want to use the same application to analyse the squid performance.
> So, at the moment, we only want to distinct, with no redundance, what was
> resolved internally (by the caches) from what was download externally (from
> Internet).
>
> I read many pages in doc and faqs, including FAQ-6.htm and canīt understand
> all the meaning.
> Anybody can help me if itīs correct to use something similar to `TCP*HITī
> (column 3) =~ internally ī, and īDIRECTī (collumn 8) =~ Internet ?

Almost..

however, there are a grey area of requests that are both from the cache
and from the Internet at the same time. These are objects where Squid
had to first verify the freshness before sending the cached reply to the
client.

These requests should be logged as TCP_REFRESH_HIT, and carry a
hierarchy code telling how the freshness validated.

Then there is one more exception. All TCP_IMS_ replies are cache hits.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hakcer