[squid-users] A Logging question]

From: Bill Delphenich <bdelph@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:19:36 -0400

attached mail follows:

Joe Cooper wrote:

> Squid isn't designed with this purpose in mind.
>
> Legally and morally, you'd be on very shaky ground implementing it even
> if it were. In fact, it has recently been found by a circuit court to
> be an invasion of employees privacy to monitor internet usage at
> anywhere near that level

The default logs in squid already record all the information regarding which
workstation went to which web site when, etc. The only thing I am asking
about is web-based e-mail.

> (in other words: email--even company provided
> email--is considered private and cannot be viewed without a warrant or
> probable cause). This is only in the US, of course...but I expect
> privacy laws are equally strict or will become so shortly elsewhere in
> the world. You /might/ be able to get away with it if you required all
> employees to sign an agreement that all mail sent from the office would
> be logged and monitored.

The mail I am referring to here isn't officlal office e-mail. We run a mail
server and have company policies, etc for all that already. I am talking
about somebody's personal e-mail account that can be accessed from any web
browser in the world, including PC's in the office that don't even have
e-mail installed on them.

> Sorry to be so cynical here, but I think you're getting a bit carried
> away with technology.

Obviously you don't work in a field where your work is proprietary, highly
competitive, often secret and almost entirely contained on CAD files. And
equally obviously you haven't found out yet you can have people within your
company who rip you off. My congratulations. I hope you stay that lucky.

We have a client who recently caught employees from a foreign (hostile)
country mailing company secrets back their home country just this way. These
employees were deported, but it didn't help the company's stock any.

This crap happens and somebody in the company is expected to have at least a
glimmer of a clue what is going on. In my company this somebody is me.