Re: [squid-users] A Logging question]

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:49:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Bill Delphenich wrote:

> We have a client who recently caught employees from a foreign
> (hostile) country mailing company secrets back their home country
> just this way. These employees were deported, but it didn't help
> the company's stock any.
>
> This crap happens and somebody in the company is expected to have
> at least a glimmer of a clue what is going on. In my company this
> somebody is me.

If your company is smart enough, they would hire smart employees.
Smart employees (even from those hostile countries though I am not
sure what a hostile country is) will either not steal from their
company OR soon learn that e-mail can be encrypted or sent from home.
So go ahead and provoke them by installing a filter!

If your company is not smart enough, perhaps you should not work for
it.

Many people believe that security through obscurity does not solve the
problem, and often makes it even worse.

$0.02,

Alex.