[squid-users] dns_testnames & dns_nameserves

From: Miklos Magyari <miklos.magyari@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:49:17 +0200

hi squidders,

assume I have the following config:

/etc/resolv.conf has no 'nameserver' entries.

In squid.conf I add:

dns_nameservers x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
dns_testnames netscape.com

in this case I have a failure on dns test and squid exits. If I skip the
dns test, later squid can lookup netscape.com.
As I understand, first it tests, and on success, it adds the nameservers
to the list.

Is it a bug or feauture? :)
More seriously: is it by design? If yes, how can I workaround this
behaviour, if I
1) don't want to add entries to resolv.conf
2) want to test if the ISP's DNS server is ok
3) want squid to resolv the names correctly

thanks,
Miki