Re: [squid-users] Filtering by user question

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Aug 2001 18:38:32 +1000

On 10 Aug 2001 16:44:34 -0500, Lance Peterson wrote:
> I have searched all over the net for an example of how to filter by user
> in squid. The closest I have found is your article on Byte.
>
> Lets say I have two users, 'parents' and 'kids' each setup on my linux
> box in a password file that is accessed by ncsa_auth.
>
> I want to deny porn to kids, but allow parents to go anywhere from any
> computer on the network. So no matter which computer a person sits down
> in front of, they log in as 'kids' and get filtered for porn, or log
> in as 'parents' and no filters apply.
>
> Heres what I tried that didn't work:
>
> acl parents proxy_auth REQUIRED

1) Read the squid.conf.default file, and the squid FAQ on
authentication.
2) REQUIRED doesn't identify individual users. You need something like
this (in addition to the rest of your rules securing your machine)
acl parents proxy_auth john mary jane
acl kids proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl porn url_regex -i "/etc/squid/porn.block"
http_access deny porn !parents
http_access allow kids

Rob