Re: [squid-users] http 1.1 thru proxies

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Aug 2001 22:53:56 +1000

On 15 Aug 2001 17:01:04 +0930, Glen wrote:
> As squid isnt a http 1.1 proxy and only does 1.0 (to my knowledge), can
> switching the http 1.1 through proxy connections option on in Internet
> Explorer cause problems?

Yes.

> And if so, what?

It really depends on the client. In theory HTTP/1.1 requests to a
http/1.0 proxy will interoperate correctly, as this was a design
requirement of http/1.1. However most client implementations of http/1.1
seem to be flawed. In particular Internet explorer _expects_ a http/1.1
response from a proxy when it has http/1.1 thru proxies turned on, which
I have observed to cause hangs in SSL, and hangs during page downloads.

> Basically because with a Netscape proxy upstream, some asp pages ONLY work
> with 1.1 turned on.

Glen, you asked this question a few days ago no? And I gave you a few
suggestions - did you follow them up?

Rob