Re: [squid-users] http 1.1 thru proxies

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 14:16:30 +1000

On 16 Aug 2001 13:28:31 +0930, Glen wrote:
> Your options were:
>
> >Find out why the error is occuring, and then either solve the root cause
> >(could be that squid will need some modification, or perhaps settings on
> >the netscape proxy) or find a workaround.
>
> I dont know why the erroring is occuring.
> Basically:
> IE 5 connected to the netsscape proxy with http 1.1 on works all the time.
> IE 5 connected to the netscape proxy with http 1.0 sometimes fails on asp
> pages

What does "fail" mean. Some description might help here :}.

Squid makes _all_ of it's upstream requests with nearly-http/1.1
semantics. That is it identifies itself as http/1.0, but includes some
1.1 features. Notably missing is transfer-encoding.

> IE 5 connected to squid with either http setting fails

IE 5 to squid should be set as http/1.0. The problem most certainly lies
between squid and the netscape proxy. Again, some detail on the observed
symptoms would be of assistance.

> I dont have a realationship where its easy to check settings/talk to the
> people managing the upstream proxy, and I havent been able to find much
> netscape proxy related information so far.

That doesn't help :-[. However, kinkie has put together a http-specific
port forwarder that shows request & reply headers only, between two
machines. It's used like a mini proxy - ie point your squid at it, and
it at the netscape proxy. (it's available on the squid.sourceforge.net
website.

Alternatively tcpdump on the squid box is your friend. Basically you
need to identify what it is about your requests from squid that are
confusing the netscape proxy. Side-by-side header comparisons between
ie/http/1.1 and squid requests might help.

Also of potential use is the squid debug conf file setting, which can
let you see the request and response processing, or the log mime headers
compile-time option.

Rob