[squid-users] HELP!!! Need help setting up Squid!

From: John Aldrich <john@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:58:11 -0400

I'm pretty new at setting up servers from scratch, but have been using linux
on my desktop and working on existing servers for the past several years.
Now my boss has asked me to set up a Squid box for him. I have installed
linux, went out to RedHat's FTP site and grabbed the squid SRPM for this
version of RedHat (6.2 -- it was the latest version I could get to install!)
I then recompiled it for i686 (this is a dual-PIII system) and installed the
RPM. Following that, I edited the Squid config file and started Squid.
Then I went over to my Windows PC and configured IE5 to use the Squid
machine as it's proxy server, including using the default port 3128.
Unfortunately, IE was then unable to connect to the 'Net.
I'm wondering what I did wrong? I'm sure it's probably something stupidly
simple, but I'd really appreciate it if someone here would give me some
pointers. Please keep in mind that up until now I've not been responsible
(TOTALLY responsible) for anything more than a linux workstation. :-)
    Thanks...
    John