Re: [squid-users] HELP!!! Need help setting up Squid!

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:04:39 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, John Aldrich wrote:

> I'm pretty new at setting up servers from scratch, but have been using linux
> on my desktop and working on existing servers for the past several years.
> Now my boss has asked me to set up a Squid box for him. I have installed
> linux, went out to RedHat's FTP site and grabbed the squid SRPM for this
> version of RedHat (6.2 -- it was the latest version I could get to install!)
> I then recompiled it for i686 (this is a dual-PIII system) and installed the
> RPM. Following that, I edited the Squid config file and started Squid.
> Then I went over to my Windows PC and configured IE5 to use the Squid
> machine as it's proxy server, including using the default port 3128.
> Unfortunately, IE was then unable to connect to the 'Net.
> I'm wondering what I did wrong? I'm sure it's probably something stupidly
> simple, but I'd really appreciate it if someone here would give me some
> pointers. Please keep in mind that up until now I've not been responsible
> (TOTALLY responsible) for anything more than a linux workstation. :-)

John,

There are a number of documents that can help you.

Read the FAQ, linked from the squid-cache.org home page.
In particular I think you need to read the section about
access controls.

The source distribution (not sure about your RPM there) includes
a file called QUICKSTART. It has good info in it.