[squid-users] accel mode and peering (pt.2)

From: Dave A King <daking@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:17:15 -0700

A couple of weeks back I asked the list about using ICP/digests to set up
peering between caches in http accelerator mode. I got some useful feedback
on the pros/cons and LB options, but I stumped a few on why I had no ICP
traffic happening. After quite a while of trying different things to
diagnose the problem, I came to find out that ICP appears to be completely
disabled if accelerator mode is on. I'd like to know if there is any way to
circumvent this behavior, or if ICP will ever work in accel mode.

Again, my goal in using a handful of squids is to achieve fairly linear
horizontal scaling of throughput, while achieving maximum quantity of
content cached. Finding the sweetspot between the two will be difficult,
but without peering, it is darn near impossible to do what i want to do how
i want to do it.

I think that using as a transparent proxy with ACL's tightened down to only
the hosts i want to accelerate, combined with DNS/host file trickery can get
me close, but I'd like to avoid this so I can get this to work without
requiring the hostname in the HTTP request.

Any ideas? Comments about how this is a completely stupid idea are also
welcome =)

-d-