Re: [squid-users] DNS cache-only server question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:41:52 +0200

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> The problem is that I can't really do that because the apache web
> server expect to 'see' qa-three.foobar.com
>
> Is there a 'switch/hack' that I can use to tell SQUID to send
> 'qa-three.foobar.com'

Sure. See below.

> As I said, I can 'ping' 'qa-three.foobar.com' from both the Linux box
> and my other machines behind the firewall. It's just that SQUID is
> kinda saying, 'no way baby.' It's being too rigorous. :)

To this I disagree. You are not pining qa-three.foobar.com, you are
pinging qa-three.foobar.com.mydomain.com. There is a huge difference
between the two. If you add a trailing dot you will notice (a trailing
dot tells DNS that the name is fully qualified). As said earlier Squid
only accepts fully qualified DNS names, as required by the HTTP
standard.

If you cannot add qa-three.foobar.com. (the real name, not a dummy alias
on wa-three.fobar.com.yourdomain.com) to your DNS, then there is another
path out: Use /etc/hosts. In /etc/hosts you can write any mappings you
like without being restricted by the rules set out by DNS delegation. It
will obviously be local for the host where /etc/hosts resides, but as
your goal is telling a Squid server how to look up a faked name this
should not be much of a problem.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker