Re: [squid-users] Squid as an HTTP accelerator (fwd)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:30:04 +0200

Good writing. Too sad most will be obsolete in some time (probably
during Squid-2.6).

I'd strongly recommend anyone investigating setting up a complex
accelerator to visit http://squid.sourceforge.net/rproxy/. This is a
complete rework of how to configure Squid as a reverse-proxy and allows
you to create a full featured reverse proxy with a wide varity of
domain/ip/url pattern/user -> backend server mapping possibilities, all
without requiring redirectors.

In Squid-rproxy a redirector/URL rewriter is only required if you need
to change the URL-path before forwarding the request to the correct
backend server.

The basic design is the same as for forward proxying in a cache mesh,
but instead of peering with other caches Squid peers with your backend
servers (well.. you may also peer with other caches if you like)

One non-Squid comment: I did not understand the section on Apache
suexec. A normal suexec setup does not require all users to share the
same account. A setup without suexec does.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker