Re: [squid-users] reiserfs, 2,4 kernel, and squid

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:44:18 -0500

The benchmarks I have done in the past few months have not been made
public. The license of the benchmark software now limits
publication...But you're certainly free to run your own--Polygraph is
easy to use these days.

Alex and the Measurement Factory have generously granted me license to
publish Squid 2.4 and 2.5 benchmarks in order to assiste the development
of Squid, but I don't think Linux kernel version comparisons really fall
under those terms.

So, you can take my word for it, or test it yourself. ;-)

Yes, I expect 2.4.10 will be the best 2.4 kernel yet, and the first to
be worth trying to use for most Squid administrators. I'm optimistic,
however, I also know that some of the changes made in kernel 2.4 to
improve the general case has hurt the performance in the specific case
of Squid. Most of this impact can be tuned away, but not all, and the
tuning required is not documented anywhere.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances