Re: [squid-users] Caching Content-Length:0 requests

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:04:13 +0200

Withnail wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I seem to be having a few problems with squid in its current
> incarnation. One of the main web users in our platform is a bespoke
> application. All of the requests it makes has 'Content-Length: 0' set
> in the HTTP headers, and this caused squid to request the content
> directly every time. I don't have the option to change the program
> generating the request.
>
> What does 'Content-Length: 0' mean in a HTTP request ?

That there is a request-entity (message body) in the request.

The meaning of request-entities differs with the request. For GET it is
undefined.

> Any ideas how to make squid ignore this and cache properly for these
> requests ? At present, I have had to put a bodge into
> clientReadRequest to delete the HDR_CONTENT_LENGTH header.

I don't see why it should bypass the cache on such requests. I don't
think it is intentional.

Some older Squid versions did not accept any Content-Length header on
GET. Nowdays Squid accepts "Content-Length: 0" due to the amount of
buggy user agents sending these bogus headers..

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker
MARA Systems AB, Sweden