[squid-users] Async/sync??

From: <Torsten.Lange@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:07:01 +0100

from my experience, async io gives you a boost in performance,
but on the other hand the loss in caching capability is huge.

i ran polygraph benchmarks on a pentium-iii/linux-2.4/squid2.3&2.4

the results showed a constant 180req/s with ufs(sync) and a cache-rate
of ~99% (from total cacheable objects)

with asyncufs, the req/s were enormous (>400), but after
running a while, the polygraph output indicated a
decreasing cache rate until it was stuck at 4 to
0%. this poor cache rate result might have
been influenced by the high load i had put on
that machine, but 180req/s was fair enough for me,
so i decided to use ufs.

torsten

>A couple of questions about synchron/asynchron mode in SQUID:
>
>How much is performance affected if I run squid in synchron-mode instead
of asynchron-mode? It feels like I should get better performance if I run
>asynchron-mode. Anyone with some experience of this issue? Are there any
problems with running asynchron mode in SQUID2.3-stable4 under Linux/Intel?
We >have experienced the problem that the cache is growing unrestrainedly.