Re: [squid-users] autostarting squid: execvp permission error??

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

execvp is the posix.1 function call to execute a file...

if I saw this I'd suspect:

funny permissions, or ownership

a buggy init

starting to early in the boot process, ie before something else in the
boot process that needed to happen.

starting squid at the wrong runlevel

filesystem damage

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, suzana wrote:

> hello all!...
> I'm using squid-2.4 in my redhat 7.1 machine...I use squid as a proxy
> server for some of my users.....to autostart squid everytime my server
> goes down, I use this file called
> S25squid in my /etc/rc3.d directory...I have this in the file:
>
> /etc/squid/bin/squid
>
> that's simple enough, I guess...but the problem is, recently we had a
> power failure, and when I turned the server back on, I had this error in
> my boot.log file:
>
> squid : execvp : Permission Denied
> rc: Starting squid : failed
>
> what does this mean? what's execvp (sorry for sounding so ignorant, coz
> I am)...then I tried rebooting the server, and squid started fine,
> without the execvp permission thing...but I still want to know what
> could have caused the execvp error, coz it's bound to happen again
> sooner or later...can anobody gimme some pointers?? or maybe some other
> better way to autorestart squid (other than through rc.local and
> inittab)?..thanks a lot!:)
>
> -suzana-

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.