Re: [squid-users] effective user

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:33:31 +0200

Squid only needs to run as root if it is configured to use http_port's
less than 1024.

In the default configuration using port 3128, Squid may perfectly well
be run by a normal user (in fact I'd recommend to do so).

Give him ownership to the Squid files, and change the system init script
that starts Squid to start Squid using 'su his_user_name -c "squid
arguments..."'

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker