Re: [squid-users] cache dir keeps growing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:43:19 +0200

Martin Chandler wrote:

> I made the jump and upgraded to 2.4.STABLE2, and it seems for the moment
> to have taken care of my problem.

Good.

> My one question is about cache_dir file type.
> I compiled in support for async-io and diskd. I am assuming that these
> are different entities, and have read conflicting reports as to which is
> faster. Currently I am running with diskd.

The current view is

* For Linux and Solaris, async-io is faster
* For FreeBSD and many other OS:es, diskd is faster, and often async-io
isn't even usable.

diskd also requires some tuning of shared memory and message queues.

> Ah, one more question. Should the cache_replacement_policy and the
> memory_replacement_policy be the same?

Perfectly fine to have different cache and memory policies. This is why
there is two directives.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker