Re: [squid-users] How to apply patches from squid.sourgeforge.net

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:46:34 +0200

ng.angie@i-stt.com wrote:

> 1. Noticed from the squid.sourgeforge.net/projects.html, there is a
> development project for Reverse Proxy enhancements, rproxy.
> I'm presently trying out with the version 2.4 for reverse proxy usage.
>
> Would like to understand more about this rproxy patch,
> (i) how to patch my squid with this rproxy patch? (the steps)

As any other patch. Applies to the current development version of Squid
(2.5).

> (ii) what new features it provide?

See the "rproxy" web site for some information. The main features are in
backend server load balancing and flexibility if you have more than one
site to accelerate.

The patch also adds the capability to rewrite server generated
redirects, some cleanup of authentication in accelerators, and the
capability to route requests in Squid using the cache_peer directive for
HTTP/1.0 servers, not only HTTP/1.1 servers.

> (iii) Or, is there any place that have these explanation/guide?

Besides the sparse information there is on the rproxy web side, and the
patch itself, not much yet.

> When I enter the URL with the proxy server ip address, it brought me
> to the main user authentication page, but when I entered the id and
> password, the URL has been changed to the origin server ip address and the
> page has been refresh and remain at the login page, if I re-enter the
> user id and password, it will then log me in (with the url at origin server
> ip address).

Because of things this, it is important that the server thinks it is
called what you request in the browser.

> While I surf through the net, it seems like the Domino server behavior
> to reply the 302/30X response, and it cause the url to redirect to the
> origin server.
> Is it the real cause ? Can suggest any configuration to resolve this
> problem?

redirects in accelerated setups is a problem, unless the setup is made
neutral.

Here is one way:

1. Create DNS domain name for your accelerated content, using the IP of
the accelerator

2. Configure your http server (i.e. Domino) using the above domain name.

3. Configure Squid to route requests for this domain name to your real
server.

    httpd_accel_host your.domain.name

    and either add your.domain.name with the IP of the real server to
/etc/hosts, or use the cache_peer directive + never_direct to route
requests.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hcaker