Re: [squid-users] proxy_auth and two different authenticate_programs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:35:24 +0200

Lee Sanders wrote:

> 1) With proxy_auth the user is prompted for a user/pass to use, is there
> anyway (anyway at all) to have this information entered automatically so
> the user never sees this prompt.

a) Some browsers can remember the password, so the user only has to
enter it once until it is changed.

b) Maybe you can use the "ntlm" authentication scheme available in the
upcoming Squid-2.5 release. This allows Microsoft browsers on Microsoft
OS:es where the user is logged on to a MS domain to automatically log on
to the proxy using the same account.

> 2) Due to the setup here we have staff on a MS domain and students on a
> Novell domain. Is it possible to use two different authentication programs
> (ie ldap to two different domains) to authenticate users, ie staff on
> subnet xxxx are authenticated using the ms domain and students using subnet
> yyy are authenticated using the Novell domain.

No, but you can use a chain of authenticators

First try X, if not found then try Y.

See for example this previous message on the subject
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200004/0790.html

Regards
Henrik Nordström