[squid-users] TCP_REFRESH_HIT - still have the problem

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:37:53 +0200

my one site, still gives me a lot of grief, in squid.. (with the
rproxy.patch applied). I have sent other mails earlier regarding this
problem..

it gives everything except the text/html frontpage or whatever file I try
to get from the cache..

The index.html or /forside or whichever file.. it always gets from the
parents.. :-(

1003922925.323 0 213.237.54.63 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 248 GET
http://www.cnn.dk/index.html - ROUNDROBIN_PARENT/www1.cnn.dk - text/html
1003922926.323 0 213.237.54.63 TCP_IMS_HIT/304 264 GET
http://www.cnn.dk/img/CNN_breaking_sms.gif - NONE/- image/gif

I've even tried to enable offline_mode.. no change..

I've set the refresh_pattern to 9999 99% 9999 -ignore-reload
-override-expire so the fact that I test with an IE ad uses Shift-reload
should not matter?

I hope you can help me.. or can it really be true that squid simply won't
offload the origin-servers? I wan't to spread the load of 2 origin-servers
(with 20 sites on them) to approx. 10-20 squid's.. but if they all keep
querying the origin server for each html-request.. then it won't really
offload my origin-servers as much as I had hoped for.

The other reason this is a problem, is that I would like to have to push
the update of a html-page to squid (via PURGE), because then I can test the
page for problems (errormsgs etc), before making it available to the
public..

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
Klavs Klavsen, IT-coordinator and Systems Administrator at
Metropol Online - http://www.metropol.dk
Tlf. 33752700, Fax 33752720, Email ktk@metropol.dk

Private- Email klavs@klavsen.net - http://www.vsen.dk

It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other
people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do...
That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year
seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and
encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter