Re: [squid-users] Current Performance?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:25:55 -0600

Dennis wrote:

> I've read a lot about the cache-off,and Im interested in the base
> parameters affecting performance, as there seems to be a wide disparity
> in performance, and a lot of the numbers I've seen are fairly old. What
> is the current performance level..and what is the bottleneck keeping
> squid from reaching the high end?

A perusal of the squid-dev archives linked from the squid-cache homepage
will give you some good ideas about the current performance (not much
different than at previous cacheoffs, though a little faster in 2.5),
and where the bottlenecks are and what folks are doing about it.

> Also, Freebsd 4.4 is substantially faster than 4.1 (at least at the
> networking level)....are there any numbers on squid with P4 and rambus
> memory on FBSD 4.4? What is the impact of faster ram?

Network I/O is not a bottleneck in Squid, and generally neither is
memory I/O (though it does have some impact, it is small). The
bottlenecks in Squid are well-known and aren't easily erased by hardware
changes--pure performance of hardware is certainly reflected in Squid's
performance, a faster box runs a faster Squid. But simply shifting
performance numbers around (i.e. super fast RAM, but with the same old
disk subsystem) is going to have marginal impact.

A well-tuned Squid performs pretty darn well on low to mid-range
networks (1.5-15Mbits), but begins to require a lot more effort to tweak
additional throughput out of it beyond that point.

I suggest reading up on this subject on the squid-dev list. All of your
questions will be answered in quite good detail, I think.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com