Re: [squid-users] Current Performance?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:52:24 -0600

Absolutely, Aaron. Load balancing Squid boxes is a great solution
(provides high availability too). But for 10Mbits it's probably
overkill. You can certainly push that much from a single Squid box
without too much hard work.

Our largest boxes are actually pushing over 20 Mbits, but I don't
consider that an 'easy' thing for most folks to do. I had to jump
through a few hoops to make it happen (which was discussed here a couple
months back).

I suspect that we'll be able to push beyond 24 Mbits from our latest
hardware platform (which supports dual Tualatin CPUs, 4GB of RAM, and up
to six Ultra 160 SCSI disks) but I haven't tested it yet. We've also
deployed a dual Athlon 1.4GHz system recently, which might push those
limits a little higher as well--but the client isn't pushing it very
hard yet (probably 5-6Mbits right now, with planned loads up to about
10Mbits by mid-2002).

So, in summary, Squid is an easy and cheap solution for small to
mid-sized networks. It gets a little more complicated for bigger
networks, and more expensive as well (and beyond the $6k price range, if
price/performance is the primary concern, it may be worth looking to
proprietary systems). But I still consider Squid the best option in
almost every case, even large networks (if I didn't, I wouldn't be
selling it--we could be shipping any caching software we want and would
probably make higher margins on proprietary systems due to 'artificial
scarcity' of the software, but Squid allows us the flexibility to do
things that no other platform would).