Re: [squid-users] Configuring Squid v2.4 for GDSF and LFUDA replacement policies

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:14:25 -0600

I believe all you need to get the heap replacement policies in any
recent version of Squid is:

--enable-removal-policies="heap,lru"

Contrary to what you've read, the results of using the heap policies is
rather minimal. In low storage environments, the difference may be
worth noting, but in modern machines with hard disks way too big for web
caching purposes already, any one of the policies will provide nearly
ideal hit ratio. There is probably a small amount of benefit to using
GDSF for memory replacement, because space is at such a premium and the
more popular smaller objects are really best served from RAM. I've only
  done a few benchmarks of the impact of GDSF for memory replacement,
and the impact is small enough to where I don't have any firm
conclusions to draw about it--but it probably makes good sense in the
real world.

So, to put it in other terms: the additional replacement policies are a
neat idea, and fun to poke at, but for most users they aren't going to
really change the way Squid behaves either in hit ratio or in
performance. (If you have a small hard disk, or a lot of memory to play
with GDSF you're probably one of the users it will help.)

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com