Re: [squid-users] Websense with Squid

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:01:30 -0600

There is a new company called Cerberian that I've spoken with recently
who offer what appears to be a pretty interesting content filtering
system. The reason I was talking with them is because they have
developed a Squid-redirector for their system--I've got a beta test copy
of it here, so I know it is working pretty well with Squid. I believe
they plan to make it their primary proxy platform, in fact, even going
so far as to suggest clients switch to Squid.

I also know that X-Stop plays friendly with a Squid network (a couple of
our clients are using X Stop machines on their networks).

There are others...But these two I am sure will work with Squid.

I don't know pricing of either solution.

And finally, a SquidGuard based solution is entirely possible--just not
easily implemented, and no one has gone to the trouble to build and
maintain a human edited and up to date set of black lists (this is on my
agenda to take up some of my Copious Free Time(tm) somtime in the future).

WebSense probably just hasn't run the numbers...Squid has 70% or more of
the worldwide installations of web caching servers, depending on who you
believe (I've heard numbers from some analysts placing it in the 90's
everywhere except the US, where it is acknowledged to be only about
60-70%). Good luck to them, if they want to compete with the companies
who do play nicely with the most popular proxy on the planet while /not/
playing nicely.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com