[squid-users] Squid child of MS-Proxy: is it possible?

From: Roberto Inzerillo <robicd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:28:03 +0100 (MET)

Is it possible to let Squid make use of a MS-Proxy in order to access the
web when behind a firewalled lan?

In my office I access the web connecting a MS-Proxy with authentication
(there is no direct connection to the outside) but it seems that this proxy
doesn't cache at all, just authenticates.
The admins of the proxy are not very friendly, it's public administration,
and they don't seem to be very interested in letting the system perform
better.

I installed and manage a little squid-cache proxy under linux for a group of
students at the univeristy where I study. It performes very well. It has
authentication also.

I would like to install a local Squid-cache in this office where I work
which could make use of the MS-Proxy as some kind of parent in order to access
the net and let the workstations inside surf the web using the Squid-cache
(instead of the MS one) with the aim to improve speed using the cache
functionality of Squid.
The line which we actually use is a single ISDN (64Kb) shared among many
(too many) PCs.
I am very shure it will greatly improve web surfing performance, especially
because general surfing behaviour of people working in this office are
repetitive and caching will bring down bandwidth consuming.

The problem comes now tryng to understand how can it be done. I'm not very
aknowledged about parent-sibling design. Reading documentation seems that
squid makes use of some kind of hirarchy that is strictly bound to squid caches.
It does not seem that squid could make use of a proxy connection for
"talking" to the outside if it's not a squid cache too. Am I wrong?

  thnak you all,
        Roberto

http://www.gmx.net